Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Good Ole' Chicken Soup

I've been making different variations of this chicken soup for years.  I made this one a few days ago when we had a little blast of "cool" weather (below 70 is cool down here).  So yummy.
Saute a stalk of celery, 1 carrot, and 1/2 onion (because that's all I had), and about 1 cup of chopped flat leaf (Italian) parsley in olive oil.  I pulled this parsley from my garden but you can certainly use dried.  If using dried, put in about 2 tablespoons.   Sprinkle with salt, pepper and McCormick All Purpose Seasoning.  (This is my secret weapon.  I use it on everything.)


Three chicken breasts (bone-in gives the best flavor but use whatever you have), salted and seasoned with the All Purpose Seasoning.  Brown the chicken breasts with the celery, carrot and onion.  Add 2 boxes (32 0z. each) of chicken broth.  I favor Pacific brand but use what you like.  Bring it to a boil then reduce heat and cook on medium-ish until the chicken pulls off the bone easily.  I usually cook mine for 1 1/2 hours or so.  Oh, and add some more of that seasoning (yes really) and any more salt and pepper if necessary.  Your house will be smelling really good at this  point.

I don't have pictues of the next step, but pour the whole pot through a colander sitting over a large bowl or pitcher and strain the stock.  Pour the stock back into the pan and bring to a boil.  Add chopped carrots and let them cook for about 15 minutes.  Then add half a bag of egg noodles - a cup of rice works well too.  If you need to, add a little more liquid.  Either more broth or some water. 

Boil the noodles until they are tender then reduce heat to simmer.   Add in the chicken (that you strained out earlier) pulled apart into bite size pieces.   Eat and Enjoy!  This is a basic recipe and I've mixed it up with things like canned tomatoes, hot sauce, vegetables for stew, and creole vegetables. 


1 comment:

Share some love and leave a comment